The VIC 56 is an eighty-five foot steam ship, built in 1945 as part of the wartime shipbuilding program, and now preserved in working order by a small group of volunteers. She is moored at Chatham Historic Dockyard, on the River Medway in England, and is operated in steam a number of times each year, often to the Thames estuary area.
VIC 56 Performing in Whitstable Sounding. Photo: Alan Jenner
For most of her working life, the VIC 56 was used in Rosyth naval base as an ammunition vessel. She was due to be disposed in September 1978, but was bought for preservation by J. H. Cleary, the present owner.
Photo: James Packer
The VIC 56 is open to visitors a few times a year. To find out the dates for these open days, and how to get to the mooring, click here.
Copyright notices apply throuout website:
Text Copyright (c) Henry Cleary. Photographs Copyright (c) Credited authors.